Tray Decorated Hearts
- DECO SPRAY colour pastel purple 15 / light pink 07 / white 01 / pearly lilac 64 / red 11
- A melamine tray
- Heart patterns
- Thin cutting card for stencils
- A pencil / scissors / a utility knife
- Thin plastic cover and protective gloves / cloth
- Fine sandpaper
- Masking tape
- Difficulty: average
- Time to make: 1 day in several stages (1 hour of preparation then drying time between the different colours)
- Lightly sand the tray with the sandpaper to remove the shiny surface then rinse thoroughly to remove all the dust and wipe dry.
- Protect your workspace, put on protective gloves and spray-paint the tray with the pastel purple colour.
- Apply a first coat, leave to dry for 2 hours then apply a second coat, leave to dry for 2 hours.
- Spray a thin layer of the other colours onto the sheets of paper. These coloured sheets of paper will be used to make colour templates for the arrangement of the overall pattern.
- When it's dry, cut out your different heart shapes from each coloured sheet.
- With the thin cardboard cut out pieces a little larger than the size of the hearts.
- Draw a heart shape on each piece with a pencil and cut out with a utility knife.
- Taking inspiration from the model and depending on the size and shape of your tray, experiment with placing the hearts on the tray to visualize the whole pattern.
- When you are satisfied with the result, fix the hearts in place with a small piece of tape.
- Start by spray-painting the hearts with the same colour.
- Replace the paper hearts with the corresponding stencil and secure the stencil with small pieces of tape.
- Then protect the rest of the tray with a piece of plastic cover by hollowing out around the stencils.
- Tape the plastic cover around the stencils so that there are no gaps.
- Then spray-paint the hearts in a thin layer. Leave to dry for 2 hours. Carefully remove the plastic cover and stencils.
- Repeat the process with the other colours.
- Leave it all to dry for at least 12 hours before using the tray.